Genealogy Classes For Beginners
Our new class will teach you how to use Ancestry.com for free at the library and how search your family history through our free database, Heritage Quest, from the comfort of your own home! The class can even help you find where your deceased family member’s burial sites are located. Call to sign up today! Space is limited so call, visit the website, or stop by the department to see when the next set of classes will be held.
3 Things To Consider Before Researching Your Ancestors
1. WHAT are/were their names? These could be your parents, grandparents, siblings, aunts, uncles, or other family members. WHAT are/were the maiden names of women in your family?
2. WHEN were they born, or when did they die?
3. WHERE did they live, and when did they live there?
To find these answers talk to the older people in your family, or visit your family cemetery plot.
**The Library offers a beginners class on using genealogy websites and databases.
10 Free Genealogy Related Websites
- tangilibrary.com (Tangipahoa Parish Library, Genealogy Databases, Online Catalog)
- familysearch.org (LDS Church)
- usgenweb.org (The U. S. Gen Web Project)
- usgwarchives.net (U. S. Gen Web Archives)
- usgwarchives.net/la/lafiles.htm (Louisiana Gen Web Archives)
- archives.gov (National Archives)
- tangiclerk.org (Tangipahoa Parish Clerk of Court)
- new.dhh.louisiana.gov (Louisiana Vital Records)
Genealogy Databases Available
Ancestry library edition is a library version of Ancestry.com. It is only available on library computers. The following (3) databases can be accessed from home using your TPL Library Card:
African American Heritage, Heritage Quest, and NewsBank
Click below to access: